Vector shapes and tool pathing

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

nazerine
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m trying to import the pdf vectors into Vectric VCarve 5 to design tool pathing to cut the design on a cnc router table.

First try to import, vcarve stacks all pages/vectors into one area. Used acrobat to split each page into a file. Import pdf, set work area to 16×23″, everything is to scale now.

Now the real problem: some circles are not actual vector circles, but 16 small rectangles arranged in the shape of a circle. Also the mortise holes are 4 rectangles, not a 4 sided vector line.

My plan was to try cutting out a few pieces using a 1/16″ end mill and dogbone/fillet the mortise and tenon joints and see how well it first together.

PS: Found the link to here from hackaday.com

Taylor
    Keymaster

Nazerine,

When you say that a circle imports as a set of rectangles, do you mean that it actually displays 16 four-sided rectangles? Or perhaps you’re getting a 16-sided polygon. Can you post a screencap so we can help you troubleshoot?

nazerine
    Participant

Good morning Taylor,

Yes they are imported as 16 four-sided rectangles. Shapes instead of lines. I believe it is a drawing issue, as importing is very straight forward. Like I said, not all are being created this way.

I was going to post a screen cap, but I could not see how to attach files, inline images, or any rules in regards to posting offsite links. Wasn’t sure so didn’t do it.

Please advise.

Chris
    Keymaster

nazerine, you can now post images with the img tag!

Sorry, it is not a default option in bbPress… had to install a plugin.

Chris
    Keymaster

Also, please see the downloads section for a new .zip with a DXF included. Hope that helps!

nazerine
    Participant

It would seem some of the issues are corrected with the DXF; but alas there are new ones.

Circles are now almost vector lines, they are now 4-piece open vector circles. I have to manually join/close them to apply a cutting tool path. All other vectors are joined and closed properly.

Perhaps I’m just a DXF newb, but I can only get the ‘first page’ when loading it. Both in google sketchup, and vectric vcarve. I would imagine there should be one dxf file, for each 16×32″ sheet to be cut.

Otherwise it loads to scale correctly and ready for me to design some tool paths to cut this on a cnc router :)

Chris
    Keymaster

nazerine, the DXF is set up in layers; one for each cut sheet, just like in the instructions. I don’t know sketchup or vcarve, so I can’t troubleshoot specifics of those programs, but if there’s a layer function in either, try that.

nazerine
    Participant

Interesting, VCarve imports the layer names, but only layer 1 has data. Sketchup imports all the layers properly, and can be viewed. Thanks for the tip :)

Do you know of a decent open source cad software for working with 2d/dxf files?

Chris
    Keymaster

>Do you know of a decent open source cad software for working with 2d/dxf files?

nazerine, great question!

I know that both Blender and Inkscape are free and can work with 2D vectors.

Recommendations, anyone?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.