Should DIYLILCNC.org offer laser cutting?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Taylor 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Taylor
    Keymaster

All,

We just got back from SIGGRAPH and Maker Faire Detroit, where we had a blast (and a fantastic response to the project). Countless folks asked about buying DIYLILCNC kits, so we’ve been mulling the question over since our return. Although we’re not in the position to offer full kits (yet), we are starting to consider offering laser cut panels.

A full set of 1/4″ Masonite panels would probably run about $250. We still need to run the numbers, but we’d like to put out feelers to measure interest. Leave a note in the comments if you’d consider purchasing one of the initial batches. We’ll probably run 5 sets to start.

Thanks for helping make this project a success!

T

Bill
    Participant

When I exhibited at the San Mateo Maker Faire, I also got a lot of questions about buying a kit. I think offering the sub-kit of laser cut panels is a good idea. I actually thought about doing it myself, but the only lasers I have access to are not large enough to cut the long gantry panels.

guerd87
    Participant

The only reason I did not build a DIYLILCNC is because of sourcing the laser cut panels. Here in Australia I could not get a quote under $650 for the work. That was after removing all the text and running the whole job on a single 1200×2400 sheet.

If A kit was available, even from the US, It would have been worth it to just be bale to order it. Most companies around here are not interested in helping people on single jobs, they want contracts, minimum monthly orders etc etc

markm
    Participant

I’d go for a panel kit – one of the reasons I hesitate to try to have a local shop fab from the drawings is that there’s too many unknowns for me to want to take a chance and end up with a set of parts that need extensive rework to fit together properly.

kerchen
    Participant

I had a chance to see the DIYLILCNC at the Detroit Maker Faire and I liked what I saw. :) I would definitely be interested in one of the initial batches (assuming it was reasonably priced). In fact, I know of some local friends who might be interested in getting a set of panels too, so I could see ordering a couple batches to save on shipping if possible.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Kerchen,

Glad to hear you liked the project! I think we’re looking at $250 per individual panel set (including shipping). Let us know how many sets you’d like to purchase, and we’ll look at how much we can save you on shipping.

kerchen
    Participant

Hi Taylor,

I noticed that you are at Oakland University. I live in the Detroit area, so would it be possible to avoid having to ship the panels altogether? i.e., I could just pick them up if they’re cut here in the Detroit area.

Paul

Taylor
    Keymaster

Paul,

Currently we are cutting in Chicago, but I commute between Chicago and Detroit weekly. I’d be willing to consider dropping off a batch of panels to save on shipping. Let’s move this conversation to email – drop me a line at info(at)diylilcnc(dot)com.

Taylor
    Keymaster

@markm,

Looks like we’re running with $250, shipping included (to the lower 48, that is). Drop us an email if you’d like to order a set.

markm
    Participant

Email sent to info (at) diyllc(dot)org

Taylor
    Keymaster

Markm,

Sorry about the wait! We’re in the process of setting up a little bank account for payments, will let you know as soon as we’re ready to move forward.

waumbek
    Participant

…you mean a lil bank account…..

Taylor
    Keymaster

Why I oughta!

BobS
    Participant

Taylor,

Please count me in for a set of panels! Email sent with my contact info.

jessiewbailey
    Participant

I’m interested as well if you are still taking orders.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.