seeking assembled 3D model

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacques 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tkluysk
    Participant

[reposting this under its own topic]

I am interested in the assembled 3D model. I’d like to use it to visualize a length modification, and maybe to help me with the conversion to metric.

I come from a film background, so I’m not very familiar with CAD packages. I work in Maya/Houdini/3D Max. Preferred formats would be DXF (3D), OBJ, or FBX. As long as grouping/hierachy is preserved.

Chris
    Keymaster

@tkluysk, we have a model in Rhino (.3ds) format that we use for rendering and visualization. Not sure how it’ll transfer to DXF, but I’ll send you an attachment. Let me know if it’s useful and maybe we’ll post it in the downloads section for others.

tkluysk
    Participant

Rhino would be perfect! Thanks!

Jacques
    Participant

I just completed a Solidworks 2009 version (down to the nuts and bolts) available in the download section with the explanation and a couple changes (like fixing the y belt holes) at http://betaorbust.com/blog/2010/05/17/diylilcnc-now-in-3d/

Here’s the image:

All the best,

Jacques

Chris
    Keymaster

Gorgeous!!

tkluysk
    Participant

@Chris: thanks again for the Rhino model. I read on the download page that it doesn’t reflect the latest fixes, so I’ll probably re-model from the latest drawings, and use whatever parts I can salvage from the Rhino model (bearings etc).

@Jaques: is that what you did for the Solidworks model? Start from the latest DXFs I mean. Beautiful work bytheway!

I can’t open Solidworks file at this time, so I wonder: is the file parametric? Ie if you change the line drawing, does the corresponding 3D part change along with it? Is there a single template slot that changes all slots on the model?

Jacques
    Participant

@tkluysk Thanks for the complements :)

I started with the most recent (as of maybe a month ago) DXFs and converted them to solid models. From there I tweaked the outlines to fix the y-belt problem and make a few lines square. I started out working parametrically but I ran into computer speed/Solidworks reliability issues (crashing every 5 minutes and 10 minute rebuilds proved too much for me)

As it stands now they are separate pieces (with a few exceptions) I’m thinking next round should go through with a better system and link all the sloth widths etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.