PCI Parallel Port Card.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DIYengineer 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

DIYengineer
    Participant

All the Pc’s in my house are newer, which means i’m going to have to purchase a card from http://www.newegg.com, Any one else using a PCI-Parallel card? Seems like the Good brand “Sig” ones are about $50 bucks, which is ridiculous but its old technology :( The Rosewill and Symba brands start out around $15 dollars, but have iffy reviews. Any one else in the same boat as me?

Taylor
    Keymaster

We went the old computer route, so I’m afraid there are no direct experiences to report on our end. If you’re willing to spend $50 on the card, you might consider shelling out a little more for a parallel to USB converter box. Be aware that simple conversion won’t do – the “real time” nature of the signal needs to be maintained. We’ve been trying to research this angle so that folks can work off of modern laptops, but haven’t managed to source the correct part yet. Let us know if you decide to investigate this approach and we’ll put our heads together.

DIYengineer
    Participant

I looked into the real time nature of the converters and as you said they are basically junk. I looked for a few hours and came back with nothing that seemed to operate in realtime. From what i have read, the convertors change the signal from digital (USB) to analog (serial/parallel). The time is takes to convert the signal is the problem. I think until hobbycnc creates a USB out board, everyone is going to be stuck with PCI/PCI express to parallel convertors, or onboard parallel ports. I’ve been looking at the reprap project and the use of the Arduino solves the problem and eliminate the parallel port all together; but for now picking up a old PC off craigslist for $10-$50 dollars is much more appealing lol. :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.