need help sourcing belt and rods in UK

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Taylor 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RaptorZ
    Participant

Hi, I am new to CNC milling.

I am a ICT Technician and am currently trying to build a this CNC mill for some school projects.

However I am having difficulty trying to source the correct parts in the UK.

Ideally the parts should be metric, but I have already had all of the boards cut out on the CNC mill at Fablab.

Could I use standard threaded bar instead of acme lead screws? would the pitch being twice as fine make much difference? (i.e. 0.75mm vs 1.5mm)

Kind regards

Ben

p.s. the captcha for creating a new account is acting up, I’ve been trying to make an account for a week.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Sure, you can replace the drive rod on the Z axis with anything you want. You’ll just need to make sure you’ve got the right coupler to connect the motor to the screw. You’ll also need to adjust the settings in software to reflect your new screw settings.

Note that conventional threads are higher backlash, in that you can scoot a nut back and forth a little without rotating the screw. This means you’ll lose a little precision.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.