MY PVC Build

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

amigaman
    Participant

I am building my machine from .25″ PVC. I had the machine and the controller box laser cut. Posting pics here:

http://astromechbuilder.com/mechloader/v/R7Dude/CNC_001/

Andy

Taylor
    Keymaster

Great! Mind if we use some of your pictures?

amigaman
    Participant

Feel free, I will be posting more pics of the actual machine tonight.

amigaman
    Participant

So i was able to get my CNC machine running by visiting the local CNC users group. they helped me through EMC2 as it is a bit of a pain to initially set up. A tutorial on how to get your DIYLILCNC machine set up though EMC2 would be a nice thing to have since we are all working under the same mechanical specs.

Now I need to know what kind of bit everyone is using in their Dremal?

Bill
    Participant

I’ve mostly been using this bit.

Chris
    Keymaster

@amigaman, I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with the instructions–you’re the second person this week to mention the EMC section being confusing.

We tried as much as possible to link to EMC’s existing instructions (which are great, btw) so that when they run updates we won’t have to worry about changing our documentation. But maybe it needs to be spelled out more clearly in our pdf?

Any more specific advice for us as we work on instructions for v1.0.3? Are there particular steps that you found to be missing/confusing?

amigaman
    Participant

Yes,

AS your setting up EMC2 your asked a lot of questions about speed and travel rate ect. Since we all have the same hardware we should all have the same answers for these questions. If a tutorial on what the appropriate answers are to facilitate setting up the software would be a big help.

Taylor
    Keymaster

In our experience, all you need to do is run the EMC stepconf wizard, check your latency, and accept all of the default commands (at least initially). You can also cross-check the step/direction pins against HobbyCNC’s setup. This should at least give you jog movement, which you can then refine with experimentation. Beyond that, sit tight and we’ll have another look at making this part of our instructions more clear.

amigaman
    Participant

So I now have everything working (thanks to some help from the local CNC user group who were impressed withthe DIYLILCNC machine)!! But am confused as to what bits people are using. Any hints on the proper bit and where to get it.

Bill
    Participant

Check out this answer I got from @Chris here.

Chris
    Keymaster

@amigaman, congrats! Please post some pictures of the working machine when you get a chance.

DIYengineer
    Participant

Ever finish?

jimmycakes
    Participant

I’m researching making the bed for a PVC build I will be making. I see that when using MDF you guys use wood glue. What if I were to make the bed from PVC. What would one use for adhearing added spans? PVC glue? I feel like that would just fall apart over time.

amigaman
    Participant

PVC glue is going to weld (think melt) the pieces together into one very strong piece. You can use the same stuff that plumbers use for the pipes in your home.

amigaman
    Participant

I was able to cut my first part last week on the PVC DIYLILCNC machine. I used some of the sample files that came withthe software. next step is to learn how to convert Autocad files into CAM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.