How to VIDEO: Controller Board solder and assembly.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

DIYengineer
    Participant

I’m editing it in Adobe premiere Pro and then i will most likely host it on Vimeo in 720P (Unless DIYLILCNC wants to host it). It takes you step by step and shows you how to solder together the HobbyCNC PRO driver stepper board (http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-pro-chopper-driver-board-kits/) For those of you who want a visual guide or with limited soldering experience this will sure help you out! I hope to be done editing tonight.

I’m considering making a part 2 as well to show how to hook up the board in the controller box (Capacitor, Transformer, switches, fuses, etc).

Hopefully this will take some of the “unknowns” out of the equation and promote more people to dive into the project!

Bill
    Participant

Great idea, @DIYengineer. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I’m already OK with the soldering, so I’d be more interested in the Part 2 version. I’d also like to see how the completed controller box was secured to the base or gantry.

Chris
    Keymaster

@DIYengineer — Excellent! Thanks for the contribution. We’re happy to host the videos in the gallery section if you’d like.

On a related note, when you purchase a driver board thru HobbyCNC, you also get access to their HobbyCNC yahoo group which is another great resource for technical info specific to the driver/motor setup. I’m sure they would be interested in this video as well.

@Bill, securing the driver box to the gantry is one option, though depending on your wiring setup it’s sometimes easier to have the driver sitting off to the side, much like the tower of your PC.

DIYengineer
    Participant

For now the box is going to set next to the machine, The second revision will have the controller attached to the machine, as well as a built in Mini ITX computer, LCD, and USB touchscreen overlay for touchscreen operation of Mach3. I will be doing all the modeling, and initial tool path creation on a separate workstation. And either use a USB key to file transfer, or have it on my gigabit switch to swap files via the network. I have to create the intro and ending today for the video, the main body of it all took 3 hours last night to encode to 720P/24frames cause the camera captures 1080P 30fps H264! Part 2 will begin as soon as they deliver the transformer, which i ordered at the beginning of last week (slow shipping from Florida). How should i go about submitting the Video to you Chris?

DIYengineer
    Participant

Maybe you can give it a look through, to tie up any missing ends that i can change or edit before the community dives in.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Let’s try Megaupload.com and a zip for your movie. We’d be happy to check the video and make suggestions.

DIYengineer
    Participant

As it is, its just a hair under 5 gigs not zipped. With that being said ill try and upload it to vimeo for testing as well as Megauploads, but i’m not sure if Mega has a limit on size lol.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Perhaps we can start with a highly compressed version? That way we can make recommendations quickly before you invest in the finished product.

DIYengineer
    Participant

Yes instead of 720P im going to crunch it way down, and see how that works. It’s 36 minutes long! :P (youtube max upload is 2gigs a file OR 10 minutes, whichever comes first; Vimeos free version is 500 megs a week) I could always do it in sections haha.. I’ll figure it out and get back to you.

Bill
    Participant

Until DIYengineer’s video is available, would it be possible to get a image or two, of the inside of the driver box?

DIYengineer
    Participant

The video is done, just trying to get it <500 Megs so i can upload it! The part 2 is purely going to be a picture slide show of the finished product so everyone can see with there own 2 eyes a quick reference. I modified a aluminum box that i already had to fit the electronics so its not pretty but she works haha. I will work on both tonight. Still waiting for a final quote from the laser shop. I assume i am 2-3 weeks away from a finished machine.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Sure @Bill, we’ll upload some pictures of the control box guts this week.

Chris
    Keymaster

Hope these help in the meantime…

Bill
    Participant

Thanks

DIYengineer
    Participant

Video Is done, uploading and hosting and will drop links to here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.