Extended Range and Router?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jimmycakes 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

djvaller
    Participant

Wow what a great DIY project site! Good work, all!

I am seriously interested in building one of these, but for my word working uses, I would really need a router. And, being that I’d like this to replace most of my other shop tools, I would want it to be able to work on a 4′x8′ panel.

I’ve read around the forum a bit and found a few people asking about extending the range and replacing the dremmel with a router, but I cannot get a clear picture of how to accomplish these.

So, if I were to take it upon myself to attempt to extend the range, it would be a great help if the designers could let me know what parts I would have to replace with longer parts (on the parts list found on pages 19-22).

Enlarging the CNC to 96″x48″ (which would probably require the cutting area to actually be about 102″x54″) would make this project a must-have for any woodworker. I am interested in doing the leg work, but need a little help getting started. I am having a hard time visualizing what parts need to be replaced.

I do understand that all of this work is done out of the goodness of the designers’ and community’s heart, so please do not think I am being critical or demanding. Thank you!

Taylor
    Keymaster

@djvaller,

Don’t apologize! You’re exactly the kind of builder we’re looking for. As you have said, lots of folks are interested in extending the size of the tool’s working area. Keep in mind that our initial design was concerned with cost and accessibility, so the smaller size is a “feature” from that perspective.

That said, let’s design a big one! Here’s where you start:

Extending the Y axis is easy – this involves lengthening the rods that the rig travels on. You’d also need a longer bed and longer belts.

Extending X and Z starts to get into structural design. We’re working with thin composite wood, which doesn’t have the same inherent rigidity as metal. Chris and I are working on improving this structure for design 2.0, but that won’t drop for 6 months or so. If you want to get started yourself, the best bet may be to build the current design first. After all, this kit is an educational experience (so there’s nothing like doing to learn the design). As long as you can find inexpensive access to laser cutting, nearly every part should be reusable in your second build.

You’ve also pointed out that lots of folks are interested in working area expansion. Why not post about your geographic location to make connections with local like-minders, or perhaps research tech/hackerspaces in your neighborhood? Chris and I can provide feedback if you send us updates or proposed designs. Let us know what you decide to do!

djvaller
    Participant

Thanks for replying. Good idea about posting my location. I am in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.

We have a great resource for laser cutting and many other tools at a Tech Shop out here. My friend has a membership, which run about $100 per month. I can get him to do any laser cutting.

Good idea building this as it is first. I think I will try that. By the end of this month, I hope to have laser cut the parts. I will hopefully remember to take photos and update my progress on these boards.

Thanks again!

Taylor
    Keymaster

Nice! Northern California is about the best place to be if you’re looking for help. Make sure to check out Bill Hastings’ posts – he was our first successful builder and hails from your area. He may even have done his work at the same TechShop.

Bill
    Participant

@Taylor,

Just so you know, North Carolina is no where near Northern California ;-}

jimmycakes
    Participant

What size cutting area with 2.0 have? And what materials are you guys looking at? I’m also very intersted in a larger size and wouldn’t mind being a guinea pig when that time comes. Especially if it uses the same steppers and board. Since that will be on my build already. And I can upgrade. Plus I have access to a 4′x8′ cnc machine to cut pieces. Even aluminium.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.