Driver alternative

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jimmycakes 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

karandex
    Participant

Hi great project

I also want to build it but i cant get the driver mentioned imported, so can u suggest me any opensource or free driver circuit. I also want to know how to interface it with ,its very confusing. Can u help me and tell some good read regarding interface part, i tottaly understand the hardware part of it.

Chris
    Keymaster

@karandex, you might want to take a look at Sparkfun’s EasyDriver Stepper Motor Driver. You might run into the same problems with importing, but at least the schematic is available to look at.

karandex
    Participant

i found some supported hardware from emc site. Please suggest one of them from diy section.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

And how to interface with board ? what software to install how to configure them. I will start work when all parts are in my reach

Chris
    Keymaster

@karandex, the interface is generally done with a parallel port. See page 62 of the assembly instructions in the downloads section for more details on the computer-to-driver interface.

Of the driver boards listed on your link (under Step & Direction Drives), I know that Xylotex and Gecko are commonly used by hobbyists, but I can’t say from personal experience whether they’re suitable for the DIYLILCNC.

Taylor
    Keymaster

@karandex,

Further, if you’re interested in open source control, there appear to be a couple boards under the heading “DIY hardware known to work with emc” near the bottom of the page. They don’t appear to be quite as robust as the commercial options – our hobbyCNC kit, for example, features a capacitor the size of a soda can (something I don’t see in the DIY kits). Try one out and let us know what you think!

DIYengineer
    Participant

http://www.arduino.cc/

Use a Arduino controller. :)

Chris
    Keymaster

Seems like this topic warrants a little clarification of terms.

When we talk about the driver, we’re talking about a power transformer (and other circuitry) that serves high-voltage, high-current electricity to the CNC’s stepper motors.

The controller, on the other hand, is a computer (either a traditional desktop or a microcontroller or both) that sends commands to the driver, which in turn moves the motors.

Our controller is a version of Linux made specifically for machine control, called EMC2. There are several other controller software packages out there, like Mach3, as well as different controller-hardware setups like Grbl.

karandex
    Participant

I have decided to get hobby cnc kit.What does it consist ? I dont need motor and they dont provide transformer. So do they provide other electronics to complete power supply

?

I am from india so what would be shipping charges like ?

Chris
    Keymaster

@karandex, I’m not sure what the shipping charges would be. I would recommend contacting Dave Rigotti at HobbyCNC to discuss those details.

The HobbyCNC kit comes unassembled with the electronic components needed except for the transformer and case. We link to a transformer supplier in our documentation (in the downloads page), but it may be easier for you to find one locally.

You will need to solder the electronics together, so a good soldering station is important.

There is another site that sells the kits already assembled, in cases with transformers. Of course this adds to the expense, but it may be worth it in your case.

ARVI
    Participant

Chris
    Keymaster

@ARVI, at first glance the specs look correct for what you’d need, and the price is certainly right. We are currently trying to source a cheaper driver board than the HobbyCNC, but the sub-$100 range has pretty slim pickings. If you do end up using this board, please do let us know the results and perhaps we can work it into future plan revisions.

Taylor
    Keymaster

This thread looks promising. I haven’t read the whole thing, but it looks like others have purchased this board for a similar application (3 x ~3 amp motors).

ARVI
    Participant

Got the board and steppers. Looks good and works well too. Tested it using Mach3. Chris I will update about results more once I get the other parts in order. I am building my machine using cemented particle board of 6mm thickness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4ntYrfr08

Chris
    Keymaster

@ARVI, very cool! Keep those updates coming.

We’ve recently been testing the TinyG board, a project that’s still in its beta stages, but looks very promising as a driver alternative.

jimmycakes
    Participant

I’ll be looking for a board pretty quick. Let me know how those boards are going. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.