DIYLILCNC V2

This topic contains 38 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

jbeeball
    Participant

Hey Taylor-

Big fan of SHKB! I appreciate the project challenging people to do something as simple as writing more slowly and with more purpose. NO DELETE KEY!

V2 is looking very attractive, especially the user defined XY area. Could V2 be expanded to something as large as a 2′x4′ XY? It looks like from the pictures that the XY dimension is determined by just the aluminum extrusions (awesome!) What is the maximum extrusion length that can support the z-sled? OR what is the suggested maximum X and Y dimensions?

I would like to build a v2 before going back to school (Im not far from you – UIUC Architecture) Is there any way that a BOM or cut files before you send out final instructions. I know the instructions take A LOT OF WORK but a BOM and cut files would help me get everything in order.

Thanks!

JB

Taylor
    Keymaster

jbeebs,

Ha! For those who haven’t seen the Sledgehammer Keyboard project, you can find more info here.

V2 has only been tested at 24″ x 30″ wide, but there’s nothing to stop you from adding X/Y rails at longer dimensions. As you move up in length you may eventually need to go to a thicker aluminum leg, but there should be enough space in the design to accommodate (one or two panels might need adjustment). A few other parts, like the base, drive rods and timing belt would need to be lengthened too.

Taylor
    Keymaster

The v2 beta design is live! Go nuts, y’all.

T4b
    Participant

Looks nice.

I couldn’t wait, though. I now own a Shapeoko.

IcakNewton
    Participant

When the final version will be released?

Taylor
    Keymaster

@T4b: Cool! Shapeoko is also a Chicago-based DIY CNC outfit.

@IcakNewton: Technically our designs are never final. The beta is on there to let folks know that the kit will always be evolving. I think it’s pretty stable, and future mods should not require that you buy lots of new parts.

seal_pallab
    Participant

Can you please upload DFX files of V2 and Rhino Ver 4 files

Drew
    Participant

For anyone who wanted a CAD file with the entire project able to be cut out of one sheet of 4′x8′. I puzzle pieced it together to make it all fit. You should be able to use a .25″ bit and have no problems.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5dzJr9CWxGkMEI0V29tdzZsZmM

IcakNewton
    Participant

Can someone convert files to AutoCad version – im curently using 2010

mdean1120
    Participant

I am currently building the v2 using MDF. Now that I have both shoulders complete I am beginning to worry about the added weight of MDF over plywood. Will the MDF weight cause problems? Has anyone build the v2 using MDF?

Taylor
    Keymaster

I haven’t, but I don’t anticipate MDF causing problems. The only spot might be the Z cart, which must be supported by only one pair of aluminum rails.

scalci
    Participant

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum. I was looking for a while for a place where I can get info to built my own CNC.

I have access to a laser cutters, where can I get the drawings to use to cut the components for my CNC?

Also what material would you recommend for this? (Plate thickness / Aluminum?)

Taylor
    Keymaster

@scalci,

We designed V1 for 1/4″ Masonite and V2 for 1/2″ plywood. You could certainly just swap in aluminum, but that might be overkill. Then again, I would really love to see either design in metal! As for the CAD files, see the “downloads” section for V1 or this link for V2.

scalci
    Participant

Thx Taylor, I will have a look.

So basically I can do this, but then just need to change the slot size to be the same as the thinness of the metal I will be using?

I am on the link, but have issues downloading / accessing the BOM

mdean1120
    Participant

Having problems with my x and y steppers on start up. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong here. Is this a stepper problems or a driver problem? This is a new problem and worked when first assembled. The steppers are stalling on start up maybe? But then work smoothly after that? EMC2. Accel-2in/s. Built off of Beta plans and BOM.

http://youtu.be/w1snArEkI8E

http://youtu.be/ryRof4fg6sk

http://youtu.be/TtrXgecSJdc

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.