CNC cut files

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MariusL 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

gera229
    Participant

What program did you guys use to draw the parts? Because I’m finding it kind of difficult to move around the layers and find dimensions and modify certain items in AutoDesk AutoCAD for some reason. Probably because you used another program?

Also will I need to delete all the text prior to cutting? In CAD it showed that the text used the line command to draw rather than the text command to type so I have a feeling that it will actually cut the text out.

T4b
    Participant

They recommend Rhino (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTy8KMr8D6M), so I guess that’s what they use. The one who wrote the “Guerilla Guide to CNC machining[...]” (the one I posted a link to some other time) also recommends it. http://www.rhino3d.com/

But unlike AutoCAD it’s not free for students, although students pay much less. That’s why I’m using AutoCAD at the moment (alternatively, when I don’t want to fire up a virtual machine running Windows I use qcad. But I’ve had quite a lot of trouble with qcad when opening dxf files made with gnuplot or AutoCAD).

gera229
    Participant

Does anybody have a copy of this?

Jacks website is down and I need it.

Thanks.

Taylor
    Keymaster

If you have access to a mac you can get the Rhino beta free at irhino3d.com. For flat stuff you can also use Inkscape (Linux) or illustrator.

gera229
    Participant

I have access to a Mac, I was mainly asking for a copy of the CNC cut files.

Also Taylor, it’s going to be a lot of questions, but the last 3 posts of mine in the thread I started have some unanswered questions. Please consider them when you have time.

I will have access to a school shop next week because the teacher is coming back to town this week and would like to have my answers by the time I go to the school so that I would know what to do.

Taylor
    Keymaster

Gera229,

I’m going to start a post (right here) that you can use to aggregate all of your questions. It would help if you could list your questions numerically, then we’ll do our best to answer them all. Thanks for your patience!

MariusL
    Participant

@Taylor

Are these file that Jack created available somewhere for download please?

Chris
    Keymaster

@MariusL, looks like Jack’s site has gone offline. I did try to contact him directly, but received no response.

MariusL
    Participant

Thanks Chris, I always wonder what happens when guys disappear from the radar. Are they OK or not? I guess I am just nosy.

Well let’s hope he is OK and we will hear from him soon, and get the files.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.