CNC cut files

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MariusL 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Jack
    Participant

Hi guys

I’ve modified the files so it can be cut with a CNC machine. I’m in the process of cutting it out.

here’s the link: http://www.partkart.com/part/index/id/7

there’s a web-based CAM program on the site that you can use to export g-code.

Chris
    Keymaster

@Jack, that is awesome! We’re definitely planning on working that into future revisions of the plans.

Jack
    Participant

I’ve found that some areas are really tight and have to be sanded (like the bearing slots). Did you guys account for laser-burn by making everything a little smaller?

Taylor
    Keymaster

@Jack,

We were surprised to discover that our material varied in thickness between .20″ – .25″. That’s why we worked from AI Symbols, a crude way of parametrically altering the slot thickness depending on that day’s batch of Masonite. Or perhaps you mean the tabs weren’t long enough? That one would surprise me… In any case, you’re right – we did do all of our design testing on a laser, so there’s probably a certain amount of assumed kerf (albeit very small).

T

Jack
    Participant

the bearing slots is the only part. I had to sand them a bit to get the bearing in.

are there symbol AI files for 1.02? It would be a great help, but I only see the one for 1.01

jimmycakes
    Participant

Hmmm… I’m having a hard time downloading these files.

jimmycakes
    Participant

Any chance you have these cnc cut files in a different format? I have a buddy with a cnc machine, but he can’t do svg files. An EPS would be best. Thanks!

jimmycakes
    Participant

Found an easy remedy. Open the SVG files in Adobe Illustrator and save as any vector format you please!If anyone wants to post the AI files I’m creating so others can download, let me know.

Chris
    Keymaster

@jimmycakes, you can grab the CAD files in several different formats, including an Illustrator file with linked symbols for the tab/slot shapes, on the downloads page under Community Sandbox.

jimmycakes
    Participant

Yeah, I saw those, but when I opened the AI file it was all jumbled. I have Illustrator 8. Maybe that’s the problem.

gera229
    Participant

Download link for CNC cut pattern is broken.

In the drawing I think I found the case drawing on the right side, but there are only 2 panels. Isn’t there supposed to be more for the complete case? And aren’t there supposed to be holes to attach the board to with screws?

Chris
    Keymaster

@gera229 – bummer, looks like PartKart, the online CAM software site that hosted those files, has gone offline. I’ll see if I can track down a copy.

Meanwhile, here are the 6 panels you’d need for the driver case:

(2) Driver Case Side [cut sheet 1]

(1) Driver Case Bottom [cut sheet 7]

(1) Driver Case Top [cut sheet 7]

(1) Driver Case Front [cut sheet 7]

(1) Driver Case Back [cut sheet 7]

gera229
    Participant

I see. Cut sheet is in the layers which are turned off haha.

Where is says Capacitor, is that part cut out?

Chris
    Keymaster

@gera229, nope, the Capacitor is just a label that would normally be scored (not thru-cut) by the laser.

gera229
    Participant

The red marks are the holes right?

What material should I use for the enclosure? Ply wood, Masonite, MDF?

I can also use steel and aluminum (I have access to a plasma cutter). BUT I’m worried about shorting the circuit as a result of that (well I can paint, but I don’t think that’s very reliable)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.