Build for Boys and Girls Club Electronics Class.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

cyphersyntax
    Participant

Just trying to get some advice on ways to find some cheaper parts or maybe some company that excepts tax ID. We started a program 2 years ago at our local Boys and Girls Club as a way for under privileged kids to gain experience and knowledge of tools, electronics, and robots. We started with Lego mind-storm, then moved to a thing-o-matic. Know I have several older kids who want to build a cnc.I will be paying and donating these parts to the program in hopes we can make a few thing to fund our next venture. I have purchased the panels from here, and now I am looking for the best way to buy hardware and motors with out breaking the bank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    Keymaster

cyphersyntax, sounds like a great project! Without a doubt, motors and controller electronics are the most expensive parts of a cnc build. I saw that probotix.com had some stepper motors for relatively cheap. They are a bit smaller than the ones we spec for diylilcnc but they ahould still work.

For the driver board, you could check out recommendation from buildlog.net.

If you do end up finding anything cheaper, please let us know. We’d also love to see any pictures from your build process.

cyphersyntax
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up. What kind of performance loss will this cause if we went with the motors you linked to? We could also start with smaller motors and fundraise for larger ones by showing what the kids and the machine can do i guess. The Kids are super excited about this project and we took them to a local shop that has a couple of highend machines. including a 5 axis aluminum cnc used to build racing rims. They have also agreed to give a 2 weekend class on cad design and coding. We will get as many pics as possible of the build and let you know how it is going. If there is anything else you can think of or see please let me know.

Chris
    Keymaster

cyphersyntax, as long as you can get a driver board that will serve enough current (2A/ea) to those probotix motors, I think you should be fine. The motors we spec for DIYLILCNC V1 are in fact overpowered given the size of the gantry. We’ll probably end up switching back to something smaller for V2.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.