bearing assemblies

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JAMESDONOHOE 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JAMESDONOHOE
    Participant

Hi,

Can somebody please explain how the bearing assemblies are fixed to their respective frames?

thanks,

Jim

Chris
    Keymaster

Hi Jim, take a look at the PDF from the downloads section (its part of the .zip file).

Pages 11, 48 & 44 show the X-rail attachments, which are held in place with brackets on the top and an adjustable plate on the bottom.

Pages 11 and 51 show the Y-rail bearing assemblies; while the bearings in the photo are short, we decided to go with longer assemblies for added stability. The gantry basically sits on the Y-rails and is held by gravity, which may be something we’ll improve on in later versions.

Pages 10 & 57 show the Z-rail assemblies. These are sandwiched vertically in between the Z-rails, which themselves are held in place by the Z-rail top and bottom brackets.

JAMESDONOHOE
    Participant

Thanks for the rapid response Chris.

Forgive my ignorance but I am still not clear as to how the rails are bracketted.

I have refered to the photo’s you suggest but a strategically positioned finger seems

to be obstructing the critical shot. Are the rails actually fitted with brackets or are they “sandwiched” in place?

If they are fitted with brackets is there any detail of these anywhere?

Your forebearance is appreciated!

Jim

Chris
    Keymaster

Jim, here are a couple more illustrations, hopefully clearer this time. The bearing assemblies don’t have any brackets permanently attached to them, instead we’ve designed the gantry to have receiving tabs that act to sandwich everything together.

Please feel free to ask if you’re still unclear on anything.

JAMESDONOHOE
    Participant

Thanks Chris,

I can see now the principle behind the design.

No more excuses I’ll just have to build it!

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.