atx power supply and motor alternatives

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  aymantn 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

karandex
    Participant

i found this pdf’s from hobby cnc

http://www.hobbycnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/powersupply.zip

the reason i want to use the atx power supply, is its simple and i only want to by board from them, the motors are available to me and they dont offer a board powersupply combo, and you have to have motors.

And does 300 oz in are mandatory ? How low can i get on power of these motors. for the time of post i have access to 10kg/cm motors.(about 150 oz/inch)

thanks in advance

Chris
    Keymaster

karandex, thanks for the info. Just to be clear, HobbyCNC does offer a board-only option that works with a variety of non-HobbyCNC motors. You could also use the HobbyCNC EZ board instead of the Pro Chopper, though this would limit your ability to add 4th-axis operations in the future.

The 300oz motors we specify are definitely not mandatory; in fact we are realizing that they are probably overkill for a smaller gantry like that on the DIYLILCNC. The motors you list should probably work just fine, you may just need to be a bit more conservative with acceleration.

karandex
    Participant

thank you for reply

that will decrease my cnc cost a LOT. i am planing on using atx as of link. Would it be ok? how many watt atx i will need. I know it will be cheaper if i make powersupply ground up but wil ATX i get a case and fan system which is already tested and safe.

One more thing comes to my mind if i get lower torque motor then i think that using threaded rod instead of acme rod will be better as they have lower pitch then acme rod and will provide more torque in linear direction . Whats ur say

Chris
    Keymaster

@karandex, I’m not sure what the wattage requirements for the HobbyCNC board are, but I’m sure you could figure it out based one the transformer specs.

You are right that threaded rod or acme screws would increase the torque quite a bit. We tested an early version of the Z-axis using threaded rod and found that it wore down pretty quickly. Acme rod is more expensive, but it stands up to the friction much better.

Here’s another drive solution that might be cheaper than acme rods, yet more durable than threaded rod.

karandex
    Participant

so is it ok to use an computer ATX power supply instead of build from scratch as shown in link ?

Taylor
    Keymaster

Karandex,

Looks like you’ll have to figure this out on your own. We can give you ideas or point you in the right direction, but this is ultimately a DIY project. Good luck!

karandex
    Participant

at least can u tell how many volts i need ?

can i use mech3 as software ?

Taylor
    Keymaster

Karandex,

We didn’t design the HobbyCNC kit, so Dave Rigotti is really the person to answer this question. There probably isn’t a binary answer (will/won’t work), but rather a question of how well the alternative will function.

Mach3 should work.

aymantn
    Participant

Thank you, it was helpful for me.

take a look also on this page some tips about smps power supplys:

http://smpstroubleshooting.blogspot.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.