A few questions before I start building one

This topic contains 87 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  gera229 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author

gera229
    Participant

Ok, I was thinking about using those metal screws that have threads inside them. Like the ones used on computer motherboards. Will that work?

Chris
    Keymaster

Yup, threaded metal standoffs will work fine too.

Chris
    Keymaster

Yup, threaded metal standoffs will work fine too.

gera229
    Participant

I’m going to start assembling my PCB soon and since I have no soldering experience on PCBs I wanted to ask, did you guys use flux and/or have to ever desolder?

Do I need to coat the tip with any solder such as tin before attempting to solder to prevent rusting (although I don’t how big of a deal this is as I have not enough experience). Did you do it?

I’m going to use Rosin Core like it says in the instruction manual and this iron:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC

gera229
    Participant

I’m going to start assembling my PCB soon and since I have no soldering experience on PCBs I wanted to ask, did you guys use flux and/or have to ever desolder?

Do I need to coat the tip with any solder such as tin before attempting to solder to prevent rusting (although I don’t how big of a deal this is as I have not enough experience). Did you do it?

I’m going to use Rosin Core like it says in the instruction manual and this iron:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC

Chris
    Keymaster

gera229, you should not have to use flux, but keeping the tip of the iron clean is important. You can do this with a damp sponge ( most stations come with some sort of sponge receptacle) just wipe off the tip from time to time and re-tin as needed.

Sine this is your first time, I would strongly recommend practicing on a small board first… maybe one of the cheap kits from radio shack. Remember to keep the tip clean, and be quick; you usually don’t want more than 4-5 seconds of heat application. Longer than that and you can sometimes damage components or just burn the pcb.

As far as de-soldering, if you do everything exactly right you won’t need to de-solder, but I find myself having to do it every once in a while. In the past I’ve blown the motor driver chips on the hobbycnc board…those are not fun to replace. It’s probably a good idea to have a solder remover just in case.

Chris
    Keymaster

gera229, you should not have to use flux, but keeping the tip of the iron clean is important. You can do this with a damp sponge ( most stations come with some sort of sponge receptacle) just wipe off the tip from time to time and re-tin as needed.

Sine this is your first time, I would strongly recommend practicing on a small board first… maybe one of the cheap kits from radio shack. Remember to keep the tip clean, and be quick; you usually don’t want more than 4-5 seconds of heat application. Longer than that and you can sometimes damage components or just burn the pcb.

As far as de-soldering, if you do everything exactly right you won’t need to de-solder, but I find myself having to do it every once in a while. In the past I’ve blown the motor driver chips on the hobbycnc board…those are not fun to replace. It’s probably a good idea to have a solder remover just in case.

gera229
    Participant

Ok thanks. I will see if I can find old circuit boards to practice on.

How did you blow the motor driver chips?

Doesn’t the fuse provide overload protection?

Or did you short (have 2 pins/wires touching each other) the circuit with solder?

gera229
    Participant

Ok thanks. I will see if I can find old circuit boards to practice on.

How did you blow the motor driver chips?

Doesn’t the fuse provide overload protection?

Or did you short (have 2 pins/wires touching each other) the circuit with solder?

Chris
    Keymaster

gera229, I blew the chips once by accidentally shorting the board while doing some other repairs. I had the board detached from the case and it touched something metal. The HobbyCNC instructions do a pretty good job of warning you about this & other precautions to take, I was just being careless.

Chris
    Keymaster

gera229, I blew the chips once by accidentally shorting the board while doing some other repairs. I had the board detached from the case and it touched something metal. The HobbyCNC instructions do a pretty good job of warning you about this & other precautions to take, I was just being careless.

gera229
    Participant

What is your guy’s vref set at on the hobbycnc board? What current/ voltage?

gera229
    Participant

What is your guy’s vref set at on the hobbycnc board? What current/ voltage?

gera229
    Participant

Now that my board is assembled, I am still at the part of setting the vref before proceeding.

But I was wondering, is it better to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse with EMC2 or a USB one?

What do you guys use?

I will try to get one of the Pentium computers because I couldn’t find any cheap barebones similar to the D410 you linked to.

So I chose a Dell according to the supported hardware list on the EMC website.

When is the semester ending so that you can become more active here?

Thanks.

gera229
    Participant

Now that my board is assembled, I am still at the part of setting the vref before proceeding.

But I was wondering, is it better to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse with EMC2 or a USB one?

What do you guys use?

I will try to get one of the Pentium computers because I couldn’t find any cheap barebones similar to the D410 you linked to.

So I chose a Dell according to the supported hardware list on the EMC website.

When is the semester ending so that you can become more active here?

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.